Sunday, November 23, 2003

The Day I Met My Mom

It was a warm Sunday afternoon, November 23rd 2003 to be exact. I was still tired from my exam and recovering from my surgery at Helen Woodward Animal Center. The people in white coats said I had worms and a strange gait. "Huff" to them I thought. I was too tired to be concerned with this place With all the barking dogs and people saying, "Spirit" as they passed. It was most comforting to avoid eye contact. I stood in a daze in the middle of the concrete, with vomit to my right and occasionally being taken out to be greeted by strangers. I overheard one them say "Spirit is too shy."

In the late afternoon, there were 2 more people standing outside my confinement. The girl was very reluctant and timid and the man with her was going on about liking "Angie the mini pin better." I didn't pay too much attention to them. When the Helen Woodward people took me from them I thought it would finally be rest time. To my confusion they took my around the side and brought me to another room. A room filled with receptionist, people, a gift shop and the girl. Something was different this time, she was holding items from the gift shop; a pet bed, food and a red collar. She gave the items to the gentleman who I now know as Uncle Kevin. I remember being handed over to her and being so thrilled that I jumped into her arms where she gingerly wrapped her hands around my tiny body. For the first time, as the two of them walked me to a bronze infinity, I felt excitement and comfort for this undiscovered adventure that lay ahead. Maybe it was because I sensed the same fear and bewilderment from this girl who I now call Mom.

First night at my new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment