Thursday, August 16, 2018

Lost Photos, Ashes and a Laugh

I came across an untitled draft and opened it to find these 2 photographs. They're blurry but they're another reminder of Ralph. I will post these photos in my ongoing recollections on life with Ralph. I wish I knew when these photos were taken. 

Yesterday Blaine messaged me that Ralph's ashes were ready to be picked up from Poway Animal Hospital. When I got home from work we left the house, the girls were both semi napping with my parents at home. (Side note it has been wonderful having my parents here in this difficult time) We went to Poway library first to pick up the prizes from the kids summer reading program. We then made our way to the vet's office. Blaine and I sat in the car talking and crying about things we remembered about Ralph. For some reason it was hard to go inside and ask for his ashes.When we finally went in one of us (don't remember who) said we're here to pick up Ralph. And then it seemed as though they were checking to see which patient we were there to pick up so Blaine quickly added, "unfortunately he's in a box." Once we received the beautiful box and paw print we started to cry again. Blaine thanked them for he plant they sent and I could barely say a word. I kept my sunglasses on to keep block the view of my eyes. We then went back to the car and had a little laugh at what just happened in the office. Even in this hard time Ralph can bring a smile to our face. 

After we got back with Ralph we all went out to dinner at Souplantation. Towards the end of dinner Blaine and I asked Ariel if she was done with her ice cream to which my father said in a stern voice, "let her finish." Blaine and I locked eyes and we both knew exactly what the other was thinking. Many years ago Ralph had chewed a hole in their carpet for which I was scolding him and giving him little taps on his behind. For when I was a little girl and dropped toothpaste on the ground my parents were very unhappy with me. Do I thought it was my duty to tell Ralph he was bad. But my father in that exact same voice and tone that he used on me for Ariel he said to me, "do not hit him," and took him away and held and patted him. I always loved that memory because I loved to see the affection my father who shows barely any emotion gave to my little boy. 

After dinner we went to North County mall so that my dad could get his 10,000 steps in. I wanted to check out the pet store just to see some sweet faces. Blaine, Ariel, Annabelle and myself went to the pet store. On the drive home Ariel sang us a song which I have partially recorded. I missed the part the said, "Ralph is eating, Ralph is chasing worms, Ralph is happy, I want to see Ralph again," but I got the part the said "I love Ralph, I miss Ralph." Ralph was around for all of Ariel's three years of life until now and all of Annabelle's 14 months of life.  




No comments:

Post a Comment