Monday, August 20, 2018

Memories

Sleeping series of photos are from 2009

I realize I'll never stop missing you Ralph but I have not quite accepted that I'll never see you in this life again. Logic tells me that I have to find a way to live happily even with that knowledge. So I try to think back to before I knew you and how I was able to live. I was at a very lonely place in my head and heart before I met you. You were able to fill the void with such love. There is no better feeling that Ralph laying under my chin and feeling his breath on my neck. We was just so comfortable with me.


                            

                            

                            


Here are some of my memories without photos:

One time early you barked at Blaine when you had an accident to ask as if you were blaming him for the mess. By then you were well potty trained and had not had an accident in ages.

I remember the time you had a tick embedded deep in the back of your neck and Blaine and I pulled it out. That was a traumatizing experience for all of us especially for you.

I remember one time when I walked you down the street and you squealed and jumped as if something bit you. I never found out what it was but maybe it was a small bug bite.

I remember the time a loose dog bit came over to stiff you while we were on a walk and Blaine was trying to protect you so we lifted your leash away not realizing you were dangling. I was so upset and grabbed you. You then walked funny and we were mortified and worried you got hurt (and arguing about it) but later found out it was because you had a burr seed stuck in the hairs of your paw pad. Those used to get stuck in your paw pad a lot.

I remember the time a loose dog ran out of a house and bit you while on a walk. I scooped you up and this dog tried to drag you out of my arms. Thankfully you weren't hurt. We rang the doorbell of that dog's house and told the owners what just happened. Once again you were fine.

The time you saw a large animal in the backyard and alerted us by barking in a way that you never barked before. I caught a glimpse of it too but was not sure what it was, it was huge!

The time you cried like an actual human baby when you were naughty and I scolded you.

The time you jumped up to sit on the chair but banged your head on the table and flopped right over. You gave me a big scare when I saw you bounce off and roll over but you were just fine.

General behavior memories:

You used to toss a carrot at Blaine and myself and run figure eights whenever he and I would argue. It would always lighten the mood and bring us all back together.

The way you'd lick the inside of your paw pads when resting, the way you'd cross your front paws looking so regal.

When you were younger and able to jump over extremely high distances for a tiny little pup. You were able to do this up until about 2012. Up until the last few months you still ran up and down the stairs like a pro.

The way you would snarl your lips up at Blaine when he'd try to take you while we were together. LOL

                  

The way you'd sit there and look up into my face when I trimmed the furs around your face. It was like our quality time and we even got to have that one last night about a week before you passed. You were doing really poor and unable to see. I knew it was getting close to the end of our time together so it was probably really silly for me to even bother to trim your furs. But I felt a few dreadlocks and you sat there letting me trim them. After that you had about 4 good days where you would eat for us. I got my hopes up high like I had for the past year that you might start eating again. Every time you ate a little I would get excited and think you might get better. The truth is that you've been sleeping most of the time for the last year. In fact we were relieved when you were sleeping because was the only time that you seemed comfortable and peaceful. I am still completely shocked because you seemed in such good health just over 1 year ago. I thought you were going to live forever - ok maybe not forever but in my head you were going to make it to 20 no question and you were also going to be one of those pups that made it into the world record for the longest living dog. I suppose losing you at 15 almost 16 (I always say almost 16 as if that makes it better) is just as terrible as it would have been if you made it to 20. I miss you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment